"This shot is taken from the area in front of the Botanic Gardens which both adds some distance to help get the height of the tower, and adds some greenery to offset the pale coloured stone which is whiter than that used on most other colleges." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
Magdalen College was founded in 1458 on the site of St John the Baptist Hospital (1231) built for the care of the sick and relief of poor travellers. St John the Baptist is remembered each year in an outdoors ceremony on 24th June, when a public sermon is given from a stone pulpit half way up the wall in St John’s Quad. Magdalen’s beauty derives from two exceptional features: it is built on an unusually large site due to being outside the medieval city wall, and it has retained all its original Gothic structures.
Magdalen’s best-known feature is the Great Tower which looms over Magdalen Bridge and was built between 1492 and 1509. It is over 100 feet high, and houses ten bells that chime on the hour in
E major. In the early hours of May Morning, choristers from Magdalen School sing a hymn to Spring from the tower to mark the beginning of the day’s celebrations.
Magdalen College is also known for its extensive grounds. Behind the quads and cloister is a deer park and the mile-long Addison’s Walk which takes you around an island water meadow.