"The snow transformed the colouring of this pub, enriching the red and green and making it look Christmassy." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for the front of this Oxford Christmas card:
Snow falls on The St Aldates’ Tavern, St Aldates, Oxford
URBANPIX CAPTION for the back of this card:
St Aldates is probably Oxford’s oldest street, leading as it does, from the Thames at Folly Bridge in the south of the city, to the highest part of the early Saxon settlement at Carfax, the city’s central crossroads. By 1342, the street was known as Fish Street with a permanent fish market and stalls against the old Town Hall building that stretched across the whole street on market days. The street was renamed St Aldates in the 19th century after the church of St Aldates, the name possibly being a corruption of ‘old gate’. The South Gate of the city stood between Christ Church College and Brewer Street and was demolished in 1613.
St Aldates today, houses the Town Hall and Museum of Oxford, the Post Office, Pembroke College, Christ Church College, the Bate Collection of musical instruments, the Crown Courts which were converted from the old Morris Garages building, and the Police Station.
St Aldates’ Tavern is one of two public houses in St Aldates, the other being Old Tom which opened in 1681 as the Unicorn and Jacob’s Well, was changed in 1865 to Great Tom after the bell tower of Christ Church, and became Old Tom in 1878.