"The wintry tree branches, the virgin snow, the crisp blue sky and familiar landmark of Magdalen Tower all help make this work." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for the back of this Oxford card:
Magdalen College was founded in 1458 on the site of St John the Baptist Hospital (1231) built for the care of the sick and relief of poor travellers. St John the Baptist is remembered each year in an outdoors ceremony on 24th June, when a public sermon is given from a stone pulpit half way up the wall in St John’s Quad. Magdalen’s beauty derives from two exceptional features: it is built on an unusually large site due to being outside the medieval city wall, and it has retained all its original Gothic structures.
Magdalen’s best-known feature is the Great Tower which looms over Magdalen Bridge and was built between 1492 and 1509. It is over 100 feet high, and houses ten bells that chime on the hour in
E major. In the early hours of May Morning, choristers from Magdalen School sing a hymn to Spring from the tower to mark the beginning of the day’s celebrations.
Christ Church Meadow is the private property of Christ Church, but public access is allowed from early morning until dusk. The Meadow has changed little since medieval times. It remains an important flood meadow and is a popular walking and picnic spot in the heart of the city; cattle are still grazed here, and herons and deer can also be seen.
Christ Church Meadow, Oxford