"The light on this day gave St Edmunds a soft apricot glow, which went well with the greenery." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
St Edmund Hall is the sole survivor of the medieval Halls that used to provide undergraduates with accommodation and tuition before the colleges. Its history goes back to the 13th century.
As a Hall, St Edmund’s had no Fellows. The academic teaching of the undergraduates (whose numbers fluctuated between 6 in 1552 an 65 in 1660) was provided by the graduates who served as Tutors.
Its vexed association with its neighbour, The Queen’s College, began in 1557 when Queen’s bought the St Edmund freehold and retained authority to elect its Principals, thereby exerting considerable control. This continued until the 1930s, when, with the arrival of visionary Principal A.B.Emden (1929-51), control was gradually transferred from Queen’s to a board of Trustees. In the 1930s and 40s, the Hall was expanded and reconstituted to meet modern needs, but because Emden was keen to retain the Hall identity, reconstitution stopped short of becoming a college.
Emden’s successor J Kelly (1951-79) however, completed the transformation, and in 1957 St Edmund Hall became a college of the University. Today it is one of the larger Oxford colleges with some 40 Fellows, 85 graduates and 340 undergraduates. But in the spirit of Emden, it continues to be known as St Edmund Hall.