"This is taken from the Sheldonian Theatre's cupola; it's a tough climb!" J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
This view of some of Oxford’s best-known buildings is taken from the cupola of the Sheldonian Theatre which is open to the public.
In the foreground is the dome of the Radcliffe Camera, which
was built as a science library (1737-1749), with a £40,000 bequest from John Radcliffe. Today it is used as a reading room for the Bodleian Library and isn’t open to the public.
Behind the Radcliffe Camera is the profusely decorated spire of
St Mary the Virgin. The church tower was built in 1280 and the spire added in 1325. The church sat in the middle of the original walled city and the university gradually grew around it; of the colleges only University College (1249), Balliol (1263) and Merton (1264) are older. In 1555 the church was famously the site of the trial of the Oxford Martyrs, when the Bishops Latimer and Ridley plus Archbishop Cranmer were tried for heresy and condemned to burn at the stake in Broad Street (an iron cross marks the spot in the road).
Merton College Chapel is situated in Merton Street, a cobbled street that runs parallel to the High Street, and from which Christ Church Meadow and the Thames River can be accessed. Services in the chapel are open to the public daily during term time.