"Turl St is challenging to photograph because it is narrow with high buildings and walls on both sides. Black and white emphasises the shadow of the lone figure which also gives scale to the high wall." J J Marshall
Turl Street, which connects Broad Street with the High Street, was once known as St Mildred’s Lane, being named after St Mildred’s Church which sat on the corner of Brasenose Lane. It became known as Turl Gate Street in the mid 16th century because of a ‘twirling’ gate which was set in a postern in the city wall until demolished in 1722.
There are three colleges in the street – Exeter College (founded in 1314) which runs from Broad Street to Brasenose Lane, Lincoln College (1427) which runs from Brasenose Lane to the High Street, and Jesus College (1571) which runs to the corner of Ship Street and its magnificent horse chestnut tree. Lincoln owns all of the southern end of Turl St including the shops and the 18th-century Mitre coaching inn which provides rooms for fifty of its students.
Lincoln College Library situated on the corner of the High Street and Turl Street has been housed in the 18th-century converted All Saints Church since 1971. The original church bells are still rung, and the distinctive three-stage steeple which consists of ‘a rustic square tower, a turret encircled by Corinthian pillars and a handsome tapering spire’, is a significant landmark of the city.