"This is a well-known row of buildings in the heart of the city which is difficult to photograph due to the large numbers of cars, vans and people always surrounding it. It's surprising how the colouring of the buildings changes through the seasons, and here it is in its springtime best." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
This group of shops in Broad Street are all 18th-century Grade II listed buildings. Looking at the 1841 Census, their usage offers a window on life in Oxford in the last century. From left to right, starting with the pink building at 21 Broad St was a Bootmaker. The pair of shops inhabiting numbers 20 and 19 were Print Sellers and a Tailor. The first shop in the stone building was a Confectioner whilst number 17 in the other half of the building, is famous as Oxfam’s first shop and offices. Next door was a Bookshop whilst in the brown building which today is the Oxford Tourist Information Centre, there was once a Saddler. The pink building was home to a Bootmaker, whilst Castells at Number 13 Broad Street has been a tailor or seller of clothes since 1846, and the orange building was a Post Office in the Second World War (hence the post box). The Buttery at Number 11 was Thornton’s second-hand bookshop from 1870-2002 whilst Campus at numbers 9 and 10 Broad Street was home to Victorian photographer Henry Taunt and his family from 1874-94,
In front of these shops there is an iron cross laid into the road which marks the spot where Ridley, Latimer and Cranmer were burnt at the stake in 1555 and 1556 while across the road stands Balliol College (1263) and Trinity College (1556).