"The pub is difficult to photograph as there are always vans and cars parked directly in front, so this is heavily cropped. The shadow of the tree branches add interest to the picture." J J Marshall
The Eagle and Child public house is popularly known as ‘The Bird and the Baby’, but more widely recognised as the place where a group of Oxford writers known as ‘The Inklings’ met in the 1940s and 50s to discuss literature, writing, religion and life. Members of the group included C.S.Lewis a fellow of Magdalen College and author of The Chronicles of Narnia, and J.R.R.Tolkien, Professor of Anglo-Saxon and author of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. Inside the pub is a memorial plaque to the group and some items of memorabilia.
The building is Grade II listed and dates from the sixteenth century. The first record of the pub’s name dates back to 1684 and census records from 1830 show it to be consistently used as a beer house to the present day. The pub was owned by University College until 2004 when it was bought by St John’s College which also owns the Lamb & Flag across the road. Profits from businesses like these are often used to fund student bursaries.