"The bright red colouring and cosiness of people eating in this local well- lit restaurant were the appeal of this photo." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
The Jericho Café typifies the homely nature of the Jericho area of Oxford. Situated outside the old city wall, it was originally a place for travellers to rest if they reached the city after the gates had closed; indeed the name Jericho may be a reference to its location. Jericho is a former working-class suburb, full of narrow streets and small terraced houses built for families working at Oxford University Press, the Eagle Ironworks, the railway and the Oxford Canal which arrived in 1790.
In the 1950s, Jericho was briefly a red light area and considered to be a slum that should be demolished, but locals campaigned against it, and instead grants were given to upgrade the housing. Today it is a thriving community with its own Community Association, Community Centre and newspaper The Jericho Echo.
The streets of Jericho have appeared in episodes of two television series - Morse and Lewis - and Philip Pullman located parts of his novels in the area. Thomas Hardy’s Jude the Obscure has a scene set in St Barnabas Church and in 1996, as a homage to Hardy, one of Jericho’s many pubs was renamed Jude the Obscure