"It's almost impossible to get a decent photo of this end of the High street and it took two hours and a lot of pictures to select this one with the clouds, the tree, and with the buses and road signs minimised." J J Marshall
URBANPIX CAPTION for this Oxford card:
‘The High’ is the principle street in Oxford and runs from Magdalen Bridge to Carfax. It derives its grandeur from its considerable length (2,038 feet) and width (85 feet), and from the curve which in this photograph gradually reveals a mixture of shops, houses, colleges and churches dating back to the 14th century.
Beginning at the right of the photograph, is green-fronted Number 34 High Street, once the studio of well-known Victorian photographer Henry Taunt, and since 1941 a silversmith and jewellery shop. After the sycamore tree is All Soul’s Warden House which was built in 1704 and leads to All Souls College (built in 1437) which was founded by King Henry VI and the Archbishop of Canterbury.
St Mary’s church, was rebuilt in the 14th century, during the reign of King Henry VII, and its 180-foot richly-ornamented spire dominates the street. Its tower is open to the public and offers wonderful views of the city. Beyond the church is Brasenose College, founded in 1509 though the buildings fronting on to The High are Victorian and replaced 7 shops and Amsterdam Court. The final landmark is the spire of 18th-century All Saint’s church, that was converted to Lincoln College Library in 1975.