‘The High’ is the principal street in Oxford. It runs from Carfax in the west to Magdalen Bridge in the east and is over 2,000 feet long and 85 feet wide. The section shown in the photograph is the eastern end, and shows a row of mainly 17th-century shops leading to The Queen’s College.
The Queen’s College is named after Queen Philippa, wife of King Edward III, and was founded by her Chaplain in 1340. The original buildings were demolished in the 18th century, so in contrast to the medieval buildings of most other college buildings, those of
The Queen’s College have been described as ‘English Baroque’(presided over by Sir Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor) and referred to as the ‘grandest piece of classical architecture in Oxford’. The statue above the entrance is of Queen Caroline, wife of King George II and reigning queen at the time of the re-development.
The Queen’s College isn’t open to the public but tours can be arranged through the Tourist Information Office in Broad Street.
068 Queen's College, non Xmas card
The Queen's College, Oxford