'The combination of strong spring sunlight and the bare tree, helped make this work.' J J Marshall
St Antony's College was founded in 1950 as the result of the gift of Antonin Besse of Aden, a merchant of French descent. Its role was "to be a centre of advanced study and research in the fields of modern international history, philosophy, economics and politics and to provide an international centre within the University where graduate students from all over the world can live and work together in close contact with senior members of the University who are specialists in their fields". The college opened its doors to Fellows and students in 1950. It became a full college of the University in 1965. Although originally restricted to men, women were admitted in 1962, making St Antony’s the first Oxford college to do so. All Fellows and the majority of students, are engaged in research or courses related to the nine areas of the world in which the college specialises: Japan, The Middle East, Latin America, India, Asia, China, Russia and Eastern Europe, Western Europe and Africa.
St Antony’s originally occupied the Holy Trinity Convent (built 1868) and the Hilda Besse Building (1970). In 2013, the college added the award-winning Gateway Buildings which have been designed to bring coherence to the college and create a central quadrangle in the classic Oxford college style.