Although printing began in Oxford in 1478, two years after Caxton set up the first printing press in England, the Oxford University Press as such wasn’t established until 1633 when delegates were appointed by the University to oversee the process. In 1669 printing began in the Sheldonian Theatre in Broad Street, and in the same century the University established its right to print the King James Authorised Version of the Bible. Printing moved in 1713 to the Clarendon Building, and moved again in 1830 to Great Clarendon Street in Jericho. Book printing ceased at OUP in 1989.
On the publishing side, in 1884 the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary was published in instalments (the last volume of this first edition was published in 1928, and the OED was launched on line in 2000) and in the early 1900s, publishing expanded into music scores, children’s books, journals and in 1926, overseas English Language Teaching. This was mirrored by the expansion of overseas branches, starting in 1896 with New York, followed by branches in Canada, Australia, India and South Africa. Today Oxford University Press has offices in 50 countries and is the largest university press in the world. It is a department of the Oxford University and follows its objective of excellence in research, scholarship and education by publishing worldwide.