'The early morning darkness and the soft street lighting, make for an intimate, quiet picture.' J J Marshall.
Turl Street, which connects Broad Street with the High Street, was once known as St Mildred’s Lane, being named after St Mildred’s Church which sat on the corner of Brasenose Lane. It became known as Turl Gate Street in the mid 16th century because of a ‘twirling’ gate which was set in the city wall until 1722.
There are three colleges in the street – Exeter College (founded in 1314) which runs from Broad Street to Brasenose Lane, Jesus College (1571) which runs from the corner of Ship Street and its magnificent horse chestnut tree to Market Street, and Lincoln College (1427) which runs from Brasenose Lane to the High Street. Lincoln owns all of the southern end of Turl St including the shops and the 18th-century Mitre coaching inn which provides rooms for fifty of its students.
Lincoln College Library situated on the corner of the High Street and Turl Street has been housed in the 18th-century converted All Saints Church since 1971. The original church bells are still rung, and the distinctive three-stage steeple which consists of ‘a rustic square tower, a turret encircled by Corinthian pillars and a handsome tapering spire’, is a significant landmark of the city.